Patch v8.4 - 2021/1/30
v8.4 (aka the "You Feeling Special?" release) has been released to the installer. This is a biggun, strap in folks.
NEW FUNCTIONALITY: New Pilot Specializations exist, for both OpFor Factions and for Contract types. Pilots, after fighting a faction enough or doing a specific contract type enough, start to specialize at it. At 4/8/12 missions against that OpFor or on that contrac type, pilots gain benefits. It's like mech affinities, but for OpFors and contracts. A more detailed breakdown exists in the FAQ on Discord.
NEW FUNCTIONALITY: The Weapon Order Button now exists in the mechbay, next to the Store Mech button. The use of the Weapon Order button should be fairly clear, it lets you pre-define weapon order before you enter contracts and that order persists until you change it again.
NEW MECH: The Fafnir II, a non-canon variant of the Fafnir with a unique model and armor type, has lumbered into combat. The Steiners, predictably, field it.
NEW MECH: The Helios, a 60 ton bodyguard mech for heavier designs has lept into play. Find it with Liao, Davion, ComStar, Canopians, Taurians, and mercenaries.
- Another mech has been added to the Solaris VII store, the Prometheus.
- The Heat Sink Kits have had their names standardized.
- Various AC ammos have had their names standardized (Sabot is now HEAP, AP is now Fragmentation/Frag).
- HEAP AC ammo (previously called Sabot) was tuned downwards a bit, it was too strong.
- Pirates can now be employers in Chainelane/Tortuga/Circinus space, get your pirate on.
- MGs were rebalanced. Again.
- AMS now has a blue aura denoting its range.
- A few Clan Nova Cat worlds had their difficulties change to get a better spread of difficulties in their space.
- Some tanks have new models (Ontos, Gladius, Brutus).
- HVACs no longer damage themselves, they just jam normally but at a higher rate than previously.
- A few contracts should actually spawn mechs as targets instead of tanks.
- LAMs are quieter in transformed mode now.
- Hauptmann HA1-OA has a cigar again.
- The Stabilized Weapon quirks are more general now and largely more powerful.
- AoE Heavy Flamers crit chance was reduced.
- Precise Strike base bonus is now reduced.
IMPORTANT: v8.4 is an "update" update. Run the installer again to let it just update your files and you're set to go. The installer auto-updates the CAB and injects Modtek for you.
IMPORTANT: v8.4 is not a save-breaking update, your saves are compatible.
Reminder: This update, and others like it, are made possible by my Patreon supporters. Without their support, updates would come slower and be less impactful. If you feel like being a part of the support for BTA, you can find me here: https://www.patreon.com/bloodydoves